Webinar: Gender Justice in the Extractive Industries. 26th January, 12:00- 13:30 UK time.
This webinar is co-organised with both the African Energy and Minerals Management Initiative (AEMI) and Access in Women in Energy (AccessWIE) .
- Dr. Francisca Kusi-Appiah
- Dr. Carole Nakhle
- Dr. Jennifer Hinston
Moderated by Ms. Cynthia Opakas
Key issues to address:
- What is gender justice and why is it critical to the energy sector and the extractives industry?
- What reasons can be attributed to the gender gap we continue to witness in the extractives industry despite there being efforts to narrow the gender gap?
- What are the unique challenges facing men in the extractives industry?
- What are the unique challenges facing women in the extractives industry?
- Take mining as an example, women have been relegated to undertake the supporting roles. This has been attributed to the view that the activities involved are physically intensive. Is this a valid argument? How then do we achieve a balance?
- What are some of the global/regional policy and regulatory frameworks that have been developed towards achieving gender justice?
- What are the short-term and long-term measures that can be undertaken to achieve gender justice in the energy sector?