READ the accompanying Policy Brief prepared by Dr. William T. Onorato (Ph.D, Cantab): HERE
- Professor Pieter Bekker, PhD, LL.M. (Harvard);
- Mr. Abdul Abdurahman, Lawyer with over 20 years experience, PhD Candidate at CEPMLP;
- Professor Albert Mumma, Director, Professor Albert Mumma and Company Associates; and
- Robert van de Poll, Global Director Law of the Sea, Fugro.
- Wairimu Karanja, Energy Lawyer and Director at W&Co, a Kenyan law firm.
Key issues to be discussed include:
- What are the options for coastal States with overlapping claims to maritime areas to settle their boundary dispute peacefully?;
- How long can adjudicated boundary solutions be expected to take?;
- How can costly and lengthy arbitral or judicial proceedings be avoided?;
- What risks do maritime boundary disputes present for investors in the oil and gas sector?; and
- What role can the private sector play in relation to an inter-State boundary dispute?